There has never been a time in memory during which we as a profession have faced such a challenge to our teaching. NAfME and our partners are committed to supporting our music educators with resources for virtual instruction, professional development, and critical information during this pandemic. Scroll down to see webinars, articles, guidance, links, and more.
We are a music education nation working together to keep music and the other arts strong in our schools! NAfME is collaborating with like-minded organizations to create advocacy campaigns, influence policy decisions, and spread hope.
Thank you for supporting each other and our students during these challenging times. Please contact your professional association for assistance and information at firstname.lastname@example.org or 800-336-3768.
How NAfME is Working to Protect Music Programs and Provide Guidance for Going Back to School This Fall
- Arts Education Is Essential: As policymakers plan for school reopening in the fall, NAfME joined 52 other organizations in a statement that supports an arts education for all students. Learn about the 2021 campaign: Arts ARE Education
- Research Study on the effects of COVID-19 on the return to the rehearsal hall
- Advocacy campaigns to encourage Congress to support state education budgets and to address the “Homework Gap”
- Fall 2020 Guidance for Music Education from NAfME and the NFHS (including aerosol research information released August 2020)
- Guidance for General Music Teaching during COVID-19
- Guidance for Teaching Early Childhood Music in the Time of COVID-19
Online Teaching and Professional Development Resources
Free webinars and and an extensive list of links to resources, subscriptions, and much more — presented or vetted by NAfME to help you earn professional development credentials and/or teach virtually.
Free Professional Development Clock Hours from NAfME
In response to the cancellation of many professional conferences, NAfME offers the following professional development resources at no charge:
- 5 of the most popular webinars from NAfME Academy
- LIVE Professional Learning Community webinar series delivering timely and targeted topics including advocacy, technology, and what music education will look like this fall
- 104 Music Educators Journal featured articles are complete with a brief quiz, including 14 directly applicable to teaching online. (NAfME members only — login required.)
Copyright Information: Technology, Education, and Copyright Harmonization (TEACH) Act copyright analysis
Released by NAfME and the NFHS on September 10, 2020.
Instrument Cleaning Guidelines
NFHS, NAfME and the NAMM Foundation recommendations for handling musical instruments during the COVID-19 school shutdown period. Music educators may use these guidelines when teaching students and parents how to clean instruments.
NAfME Blog: Advice and Insight from Members
New articles published every week offering resources and ideas for teaching during the pandemic from current NAfME members.
Corporate Member Offerings
Many NAfME Corporate members are offering special access to resources during the pandemic. Please consider utilizing the offerings of our important supporting organizations.
- Amplify, the NAfME members-only online community
- NAfME LinkedIn Group (monitored group with 23,000 members)
- Contact NAfME member services at email@example.com for assistance and information
General Covid-19 Resources & News
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention COVID-19 Landing Page
- Education Commission of the States COVID-19 Response and Policies
- Edweek Coronavirus and Schools
- Edweek Map of COVID-19 School Closures
- EPA Registered Anti-Microbial Products For Use Against COVID-19
- Johns Hopkins COVID-19 Current Confirmed Cases Tracker
- Stateside’s COVID-19 2020 State and Local Government Report
- World Health Organization COVID-19 Landing Page
- School Districts’ Reopening Plans: A Snapshot
- State-by-State Map of Where School Buildings Are Opened or Closed